Brian Houston has finally commented on the Naked Cowboy (NC) that made an appearance at their Hillsong US Color Conference. Did Mr Houston apologise or repent of this stunt?
Not at all.
WATCH THE CAREFUL WORDING & OMISSIONS
Instead Brian Houston decided to protect the Hillsong brand, his Hillsong leader’s reputations and avoid legal proceedings by the Naked Cowboy (who took offense that Hillsong used his character without his permission). His method?
Brian Houston’s main method is to use very careful wording to imply what he wants you to think. You also need to take note of what he doesn’t say.
For example, Brian states, “Carl and Laura Lentz were also not part of the decision.” What Brian doesn’t say is what they knew about it and what part they played. And who did make that decision?
Houston omitted that other pastors were onstage. Joel Houston and Ben Houston, .. weren’t mentioned in this statement. Why?
Who did know about this and to what extent? Did Brian? (He never said he didn’t.)
Joel Houston was on the production team as a ceative director for Hillsong’s Mr Sparkle dancing to the “To Move It” debacle. So what was Joel’s role, especially as he is a Hillsong NY pastor?
Even Steven Kozar commented on Brian’s response on the Hillsong website, observing what Houston omitted from his statement:
BRIAN HOUSTON’S OVERALL CLAIM
So that is what Brian Houston essentially did:
Feign ignorance on behalf of all the Hillsong leaders gathered.
Brian Houston implies that Hillsong leadership had no idea how the NC ended up in the production. Does Brian Houston want us to believe him?
Brian wants people to:
- Believe, “that some one thought it would be funny and sent [the NC] out there without thinking about the ramifications”.
- Note that those “who perpetuate the story, do so mainly with the help of a video, no context, and a good dose of what the bible describes as hearsay and rumour.”
- Believe that this “silly decision… is unlikely to happen again.”
So let’s put it in context for Brian Houston.
- Hillsong’s women Color Conference UK put on a performance celebrating UK Culture, parading the popular sleazy pervert Austin Powers on the platform, causing the women to go crazy. The person dressing up as Austin Powers was Hillsong London’s Senior Pastor, Gary Clarke.
- This “silly decision” was then repeated at Hillsong US.
- Hillsong’s women’s Color Conference US put on a performance celebrating American Culture, putting the NC on the platform, causing the women to go crazy. The person dressing up as the NC was Hillsong New York’s Youth Pastor, Diego Simila.
- The “New York” song was playing when the iconic “New York” Naked Cowboy eventually rose to come to the front of the stage, nicely choreographed among other “New York” icons.
Brian Houston seems to think that the Hillsong NC was a cheeky prankster. This is not true.
The Hillsong NC was Hillsong NY’s Youth Pastor, Diego Simila. What Hillsong pastor in their right mind would put their ministry in jeapordy by pulling an outrageous stunt like this? A prank in front of Hillsong’s Senior, Pastor Bobbie Houston and “Apostle of Cool” Carl Lentz, if he didn’t it was OK?
Does this mean Bobbie Houston and Gary Clarke had no idea that Austin Powers was going to make an appearance in their women’s conference at Hillsong London, too?
And do you think Bobbie Houston, Joel Houston, Ben Houston, Terry Crist and Carl Lentz and other performers look “taken aback” by the NC’s appearance in these videos? Why does Brian Houston imply that all these pastors had no idea that the NC Youth Pastor was waiting in the wings just to play a pastoral prank? At a major conference in front of thousands of women?
In the video linked below, Hillsong pastors Carl Lentz, Ben Houston, Joel Houston and Terry Crist come out together on stage halfway through the ‘item’. This means all of them knew it was going to happen before the NC went on stage. If this was a prank, at any time, these senior pastors could have prevented the NC from coming on.
We will critique this statement further at a later date.
Brian Houston wrote,
Have You Heard the one about the Naked Cowboy?
1 June 2016
So how did someone come on stage imitating Times Square’s famous Naked Cowboy, (during a fun moment involving lots of other people), at the Colour Conference in NYC? It’s a good question, I’ve been trying to work that out myself.
I do know that Bobbie – my wife – who was convener of the conference was clearly unaware that this was going to happen and was taken back by it. She was at the dress rehearsal and there was no sign of a naked cowboy lookalike there. Carl and Laura Lentz were also not part of the decision. I can only guess at this point, that some one thought it would be funny and sent him out there without thinking about the ramifications.
What I do know is that those who perpetuate the story, do so mainly with the help of a video, no context, and a good dose of what the bible describes as hearsay and rumour. He was wearing proper shorts, not underwear, and he had a flag draped over him.
What I also know is that talk of apostates etc., is nonsense. Some well-meaning person just made a silly decision. It is unlikely to happen again.
Source: Brian Houston, Have You Heard the one about the Naked Cowboy?, Published 01/06/2016. (Accessed 01/06/2016.)